So, I'm working on no sleep and that is making me cranky. Wait, that should be Cranky with a capital "C". So, hold on to your hats, I'm about to do a little complaining and whining. Somebody bring the cheese because I've got the whine.
Tomorrow is my anniversary. 11 years. 11 WONDERFUL COULDN'T LOVE HIM ANY MORE THAN I DO, years. We're not doing anything. No dinner out. No gifts. Nothing. We went to dinner for our 10th but Sarah was in NICU so it wasn't much of a celebration. We're doing less than that this year. I'm cooking.
We don't usually do anything. We usually do manage a dinner out, though.
We don't really celebrate our birthdays either. We pretend we're going to make a fuss but we don't. It's something we agreed on. We never ever have money in the summer. For whatever reason be it moving, truck engines blowing up, moving, unexpected medical expenses, moving...whatever, we're usually on a tight budget for our summer celebrations. We make a fuss over Nicholas, and now Sarah. When we do have extra cash to throw around we almost always spend it on the kids or doing something for the family.
We're OK with that.
I don't ask for a lot. I don't wear nice clothes, buy designer purses or have more shoes than will fit in a sack. I don't spend a lot of money getting my nails and hair done. We eat out some times but never anything extravagant. A really nice meal out for us is The Outback. We're simple to please.
But just once in a while, I'd be OK with making a fuss. I like jewelry and shiny things as much as the next girl. I wouldn't mind a cute pair of sandals. Flowers are way impractical and I have a very practical husband.
I can't make a fuss over him either. I have no car to go out and get him anything and no money right now. I will make his favorite meal and probably bake something.
I have a little of the green-eyed monster in me when I see other people getting and doing things I'd like to do. I like to pretend I'm above all that. Don't we all? And truly, I'm not out for anything extravagant. Not at all. I mean where would I wear fancy jewelry, nice clothes or cute shoes? The backyard? Now that I am back to not having a car I hardly leave the house. Yes, see, this is the whining part.
Then again, maybe I'm not so bad. 90% of the time I'd perfectly happy with the way things are. I like being able to sit comfortably on my high horse and proclaim that I don't need those things. We love each other and have a great marriage and that is the best gift of all. And I mean every word of it.
I wouldn't turn down a gift and a dinner out. And I'm sure Jamie wouldn't turn down any of the 100 things he'd like to have either.
If funds were not an issue. Or time off. I think my perfect anniversary would be, dinner out, flowers for sure, a silver/turquoise cuff bracelet. And a weekend away somewhere (with the kids is fine)
Jamie would probably want a new sound system for downstairs and a weekend without the kiddos.
Well, it's a good thing we're above all that isn't it.
No comments:
Post a Comment