Let's talk about clothes. Or "fashion" if you will. Or generally just about me and my clothes and "fashion." The whole "" thing is because I don't really do the "fashion." I'm not sure who decides things like "this winter we shall all wear Uggs and look like Eskimos." And don't give me the whole "They are SO comfortable!" I'm sure they are. So are Crocs. I've never seen Crocs held up as fashionable. I should note, I would wear Crocs, though. I'm getting ready to buy a pair for Disney World.
Which leads me into the whole, what am I going to do about a Fall/Winter wardrobe? I really don't need a lot of fancy in my daily wardrobe. And I get a little irritated at all the people telling me that I should dress up every day and show my husband and family I care about them because I took the time to look nice. I, personally, always fix my hair, put on makeup and try to wear something clean.
Then there is the whole clothes tell the world who we are. You know what, I'm a stay-at-home-mom. I'm proud of it. I'm a homeschooler. I'm proud of that. I'm a wife, a mother, a teacher, a nurse, a maid, a chef and a woman. I can't afford that wardrobe. And really, it sounds like I need a uniform anyway. So, I just dress for me. At home most days I simply want to be clean and comfortable. And smell good. And have nice skin. And have pretty hair. And wear eyeliner that doesn't rub off. I think I do a pretty good job.
For me, an acceptable outfit for the day would be jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Maybe a turtle neck. If it is really cold leggings and a fleece tunic. When we're leaving home, a nice sweater and jeans and boots. I'm not complicated. I always try to get a few nice things for going out. I'm not a skirt person and will almost always be in jeans of some sort. I guess to the outsider it would seem that I don't care but to me, a long-sleeve tee with a V-neck in a flattering color is fine for staying home.
As for evening time, I've been stuck in pajamas since Sarah was born. I've bought some cute ones and all. I used to be a nightgown person but then Sarah was born and I found myself up and down a lot more and pajamas just seemed easier. However, the other night I pulled out an old soft pretty nightgown. Oh the comfort. The prettiness. The freedom to sleep! So, I think this fall I will do a combination. Pajamas for early lounge around evenings and nightgowns for comfort. My most favorite robe is one my husband bought me when we lived in Mississippi. It was expensive for us back then. It came from Land's End. It's not lined or fleece and is so LONG. But, oh, she is looking ratty. The hem is ripped, the pockets are pulling apart, the cuffs of the sleeves have holes. And I can't find anything else like it. Everything is fleece and heavy or thin cotton. So sad.
I sit here looking at the Fall fashions and choices. So many cute things. A person could get sucked into wanting all those cute things. So many that aren't practical. Some I covet for the pretty factor. Some for the warmth. But this year I think things are going to have to be much simpler. A few good quality thermal t-shirts and turtle necks for layering, a couple pairs of jeans, warm socks. A nice crisp button down shirt and a cute sweater for going out. Some new black boots. If people think I'm a frumpy housewife then so be it. I'm comfortable. I work hard around here. I try to look my best with what I've got. And I hope my family knows I love them because I didn't spend all the play money on Mama some fancy clothes. Mama is hugable in her cozy t-shirts. She'll get down on the floor and play little people dolls or do a science experiment without freaking out.
And Daddy is happy to see the end of the pajama era.
No comments:
Post a Comment