Monday, May 19, 2014
Busy weekends are the best...
We managed to have one of the busier weekends I can remember. Well, compared to when we aren't moving, that is. We bought a truck, Jamie cleaned out the garage, the kids and I planted the garden, Jamie cut the grass, did all the trimming and I did a few things inside that needed done. Plus, we managed to spend some time playing with the kids. I don't think the TV was on for more than an hour a day and that was in the evening right before we went to bed just to unwind. There were no kid shows, no teen shows, no sci-fi movies. Just family being family. That's a glorious thing.
The kids and I got our little garden planted. It isn't much but at least it is something more than we've had for a while. I'm battling that horrible monster of discontent off and on right now. I'm happy in our home. I'm happy making a home here and with all that we have. I just get that pinch in my gut once in a while and a lump in my throat knowing that we settled and did so intentionally. We gave up the dream we've been carrying around for almost 14 years and did what needed done. Sometimes I think that we were courageous, and sometimes I think we were stupid. Either way though, I'm learning to put that specter of discontent in its place and bury it. I don't let it rule me any more. I take the time to acknowledge it and move on. Pretending that everything is always perfect just makes it worse, so I don't.
But what is good here, is VERY good. We have been reworking the rooms and spaces in this house and it's really starting to feel like home. Jamie laid claim to the garage this weekend and it is amazing. You can go out there and find a hammer or a staple gun without climbing over things or digging through piles of junk! We planted 10 herbs and 21 veggies in our garden. It was a blast and the kids are super excited. Nicholas is in charge with a little guidance from me.
One way we are coping with lives in the suburbs is that we bought a truck. Stretched our budget to the limit and bought a truck. We'll be able to use the farm now and to go camping. That will go a long way toward feeding our need to be out in the open a little. We'll be adding a camper to the farm in a few weeks and that's going to be our fun weekend getaway. Despite all the pitfalls there last year, we had so much fun when we had time just to play and goof around. We really hope this works out.
And now it is Monday and I'm on to another busy week. We're going in to WV to have Sarah's birthday party this coming weekend and have a visit, then it's back here with my Mom for a week. Lots to do this week to get ready!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment