Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Beautiful Possibilities



So much can change in a few short posts. Our life has seen so many changes. And I look back and think of how good things are now, I know how bad they can get and then worse, but right now, they are so good. However, we've entered a season of busy that I can't even comprehend. Complete craziness. We're living on our dream homestead. It's beautiful and messy and imperfect. There's so much work to do and so many beautiful possibilities. I think that's what we missed for so long in our life. Possibilities. The work and the plans, they aren't going to happen over night or even in a year. We'll get a good start. We'll plant an orchard and put on a porch. We'll definitely clean up some trash! There are barns to fix and update, pastures to fence, things to build, fix and tear down. Ground to till, gardens to grow and kids to raise. We know there will be days we want to just walk away from the whole thing. Or maybe not. Even the tiny work we have started is so rewarding. I love seeing new life come to this place.

Our kids love it here. We have family near us, and old friends are becoming new again. We aren't lonely and isolated even though we live in the middle of geographical no-where. I'm so looking forward to spending summer here. Exploring. Fishing. Planting. Growing. Learning. We have so much to learn and so much trial and error to learn from. I can't wait to haphazardly plant flowers and not care if they are perfect "beds." I can plant anything I want anywhere I want to! And a garden. A real honest to goodness garden. The deer and I are going to battle it out.

Nicholas got his first buck ever this year. The first one taken by us on our new property. He feels like that marked the land for himself. He loves being here and he's making plans of his own for things he wants to do and have. Projects he's building. We have a busy year ahead of us.

This Christmas has snuck in on me. I haven't felt it. It's too warm, too busy. We lost all my special Christmas ornaments and I cried and cried. We contacted our Indiana realtor and he went knocking on the door of our old house and they were there! He shipped them out yesterday! I was so happy and can't wait to get them on our tree. It's our first Heart Stone Farm tree. We cut it down on this property. And soon it will have our own decorations on it. We ran to Walmart and just "made do" with some that we found but it wasn't the same.

I hope to be here in this spot more often. Journalling our journey. Saving our successes and failures as we grow our homestead. To be honest, I've been a little shell shocked even to be here. It hasn't really felt real. But this quiet foggy morning IS real. I step outside every morning and just say thanks for being able to be here. I thank God for this beautiful land and for giving us this chance to bring it to life. For this chance to bring US back to life.


I know right now that if anything on this place defeats me it's probably going to be the mud. I really really thought the ground would be frozen by now! Darn El Nino!

No comments:

Post a Comment