Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The backside of summer...

I'm not really sorry to see the back end of summer heading this way. I always anticipate summer and make these grand plans that never seem to materialize. Oh, this summer was WAY better than the last few but it was still very stressful. The whole moving thing definitely took a big bite out of the fun factor. And then settling in has been a challenge.

So, all in all, I'm ready to bid summer 2009 goodbye. I'll take with me the good memories and filter out the stress and not so good times. I'll remember the fun visiting Moab and Yellowstone with family. Spending mornings at the pool with Nicholas. Driving across country with Jamie. And remember with longing the simple freedoms of summer when I'm bound in February feeling cold and burned out.

And now I'm ready for the challenge and routine that Fall brings. I'm eager for the cooling breezes and the first hint of frost in the air. I'm ready for baking and cooking soups and stews. I'm looking forward to seeing the snow in the mountains and to having a crisp and cool Halloween night. I want to drive through the pines with the windows down and the radio up. With my husband by my side and my son singing in the background.

And the routine. Bed times get earlier, breakfast gets better, school starts with an eager pupil. Schedules are good and fun. You can't enjoy setting aside your schedule if you never had one to begin with. And you can let go of the guilt of just enjoying staying home and wearing your pjs at 6:00 in the evening. You don't feel like you should be out doing something constructive.

There were many wonderful things about summer 2009. However, I am eager to see what Autumn has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment