Monday, August 3, 2009

Where I have nothing more interesting to talk about than the weather and white bikinis.

It was a good weekend for us here in Utah. We didn't do any exploring or have any adventures. We cleaned out the garage, went to the pool, did a little grocery shopping, laid in the cool basement and watched movies.

I find the summer sun here to be rather unrelenting. I don't even know why they post a forecast. Sunny. 95. It says that on the ten day forecast on the Weather Channel for every single day. Not that I am not enjoying the sunshine. Because I am. I do. I wouldn't mind a gray rainy day or two. The kind where we stay home, read a book, or mess around in the kitchen. I love getting in the kitchen on a rainy day and fixing a comforting meal and baking something. I suppose all these sunny days that force me to keep the oven off could help our waist lines!

I've heard the grizzly truth about winter, though. I finally got someone to just tell us what it is like instead of making a joke or laughing maniacally and walking away saying, "You'll See!" Jamie's boss's wife was a very nice older lady and very outspoken. When I told her what neighborhood we lived in she asked when our lease was up and said she hoped we kept our boxes. She's not one for counting blades of grass and submitting your flowers for approval either. So, about the weather, she asked me about what kind of snow boots we had and I showed her where my woolly ankle boots hit. She laughed and said I'd have slush down them. You need to go mid-calf to walk on the SHOVELED parts of the walkways. Knee high if you are walking through the snow. The get a "couple feet" at a time around here. Nicholas will LOVE it. Snow comes in November and disappears in April.

However, it NEVER gets as cold as it got in Indiana. They couldn't believe we would see sub-zero temperatures. It averages around 20 - 30. But not much colder. Of course the wind is always blowing so 20 degrees with a stiff wind is still pretty cold.

And this is completely off topic but, I've made at least one observation while at the pool this summer. You know, I'm not comfortable with the bathing suit but I do it and play with my son in the pool. He says I'm the best Mommy there because none of the other ones get in the pool with their kids. But, the thing is, no matter how thin you are, or how much you work out; When you hit a certain age, and you've had 5 kids, it is time to put away the bikini. You just look ridiculous. Also, why do they make WHITE bikinis? I mean, get that sucker wet and why even bother wearing it?

I'd post some scenic pictures or something at this point but I didn't take a single picture this weekend. Just pretend there is a picture of me, Jamie and Nicholas at the pool having a good time. And please pretend I'm a size 6. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment