Monday, August 31, 2009

Priorities...



These pictures have nothing to do with anything. They are from our Moab adventure. Full of ups and downs!!!!

We're back to our first full week of school. And it's good. This weekend, Jamie and I sat down and went through our budget (yuck), our curriculum, discussed the future and made some Fall travel plans. All in all it was a good weekend. A question, does anyone else have a line in their budget marked Cracker Barrel? Just us, then?

And now, after a short week last week, we're back for a full week of school. We are also ordering some new curriculum. I'm super excited! I'm ashamed to admit that I've been coveting a full boxed curriculum. Not that I mind piecing it together but it would be nice to have it just show up in a box at the door. We didn't go with the full boxed set, simply because we already had math and science covered. However, we did decide on Sonlight Core. Then next year we can go with the full deal.

We didn't have any adventures this weekend. And that was fine with me. We took a little drive then spent the afternoon in Cabela's. Window shopping only. We walked out with nothing but ideas and dreams.

I do think we have decided to sell our camper. It's simply costing too much to store it. And let's face it, while it is being stored, we won't use it. Too much trouble. That money can be put to many better uses. We are going to get a nice tent for one thing. I think we'd be more likely to go if we can just throw it in the truck and head out. There are so many more opportunities for tent camping out here than there were back in Indiana and even in WV. And most of the campgrounds out here don't have electric or water anyway. So, where is the advantage of the camper? We're still in the discussion stages. We love our camper. It just isn't practical and it's costing us money right now. And it is sitting in a storage lot rotting.

The other thing we are going to try to do is cut out the eating out. We went for wings the other night and spent $45 on a meal I could have made for $10 or $15 if we were being fancy. I know that we won't go cold turkey. I do get tired of cooking but we can sure cut back. I figure I can't make decent Mexican and we have to have our Cracker Barrel (it just feels like home) every other week or so. So, if we limit ourselves to once on the weekend, we'd be doing a LOT better.

It may sound from all this that we are having money troubles. That isn't the case. We just know that we are finally in a position to really save money, up our retirement, and spend on what is important to us. Our $50 a month Mocha habit, if cut out, could pay for a hotel room once a month some place really cool. Our eating out habit could pay for an entire vacation. Priorities. It's all about priorities.

Here's to us finding ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment