Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Shattered...

Do you ever hear those commercials on the radio for car windshield repair. Fix the chip now before it turns into a crack! You know how those windshield cracks work. They start small. Insignificant. A chip here. One there. A crack starts. Then another and another and another. It's safety glass so it just keeps cracking in place. It's still there in the windshield but it is all cracked and broken. But there. Still buffering the wind and the rain and holding out the world. Then there is one more little bit of pressure. Someone taps it. Slams a door. Just touches it wrong. The whole windshield just goes down in a million tiny pieces. Shattered. Gone. Broken. Just a tiny insignificant action can bring the whole thing down. Nothing tragic. No life-altering accident. A rock chip and a slamming door.

I'm a windshield. I'm the buffer between my family and the elements. But I'm flawed. I'm chipped here. And there. And cracking but holding together. And there is nothing major going on. No one is sick. No one is hurt. My marriage is fine. My life is OK. There are just all these tiny little things chipping away at it all. None of it seems very big or very important. But together it is just almost too much. I can feel the web of cracks.

Someone is going to say the wrong thing. Do something insignificant. Slam the door. And I am going to shatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment