Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How far would you go?

How far would you go to do something you want? Jamie and I were working on our budget last night. And we figured out with cutting some things we could easily take a vacation that we have been craving. Just the 4 of us and a relaxing week. We spent, and I'm hugely embarrassed to admit this, $600 last month eating out. That's right. In 30 days. Now, granted, we were moving and that tends to cause more eating out. But we average an obscene amount of money eating out every month.

I know that we do it because we're bored. But feeding a family of four, even at Red Robin is $60. McDonald's is $18 and Chick Filet runs $23. Those aren't exactly cheap meals. Also, they aren't exactly good for us either. Eating out has just become this habit.

So, my goal is to cut it out! I almost never buy convenience foods but I think I'm going to have to add things like frozen pizza or a bagged pasta from the freezer section. So that when I've had a long day all I need is an oven and some paper plates. It's been far too easy to just ask Jamie to pick something up on the way home.

My problem is Saturday. I've been home all week and just want to run around and get out of the house and it's just too easy to grab something while we are out. But, if I can just stop that, or go out alone or feed us a big breakfast before we leave, then we can save a lot there too.

And I can afford a vacation without even sweating it. 3 months of eating out would pay for a free-dining Disney trip.

So, that is my challenge! I'm not a fool. I say one sit down meal a pay and one Friday or Saturday fast-food meal. Can we do it?

It's a hard habit to break but I'm going to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment