Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What matters most....


To some, my life may seem small. It feels small to me sometimes. In reality, it isn't. Not at all. I'm raising children, making a home, loving a husband and crafting a future. Some days I'm tired of the sameness of it. Some days I can't wait to start just BEING with them.

Sometimes I think I spend 6 months waiting for summer and then 6 months planning for Christmas. I'm OK with that. I'm comfortable with myself and my ways. I feel like my life is coming to a place where I'm OK being WHO I am. I'm happy with my choices. My life is comfortable and suburban. And you know what? I'm OK with that.

I'm tired of defending our decisions all the time. The decision to vacation and where to vacation. The decision to homeschool our kids. The place we live, the LIFE we live all work for us now. We are, dare I say, HAPPY with our life right now. At the very least we are grateful for what we have and content to just BE in this life together.

There are, of course, the usual things we'd like to have and do. Lose some weight, buy a new car, redo the kitchen, go to Hawaii. But the day to day living of our life is good right now. Not perfect. There are still too many boxes waiting for attention and we could really use a fence and a new garbage disposal. On the whole, however, things are good. They are settled.

And life. Life is short. Each day is a wonderful gift that should be celebrated. Not gotten through. There are miracles in a hearty supper or a fresh basket of clean laundry, laughing children and stolen kisses with a man you've been married to for 12 years. There is ease and comfort in knowing that there is someone beside you to turn to in the dark. Someone who sees you at your worst and struggles right along side of you. And in having someone who shares the joy and pride you feel for your children and the joy you find in an ordinary life.

So no, I may not be climbing mountains, running marathons, living in a foreign country or have the fashionable life. I'm not making deals, running meetings or tap dancing in high heels. I just scrubbed my oven, kissed my toddler and shared a laugh with my boy.

I'm doing all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment