Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Nothing to lose....

Sometimes when life gets a little hectic, things pile up and I start feeling a little overwhelmed I think fondly back to a time when our little family had even less. When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose, I guess is a way to look at it. Life is good now. Really good.

But, and you knew it was coming, BUT, sometimes I do miss when we didn't have so much on our plates. When you have so little there is nothing to keep you. We lived rather in the moment. If we wanted to go away for a weekend we went. We didn't think about the repercussions. We just figured it would all work out in the end. We were spontaneous. Life getting crazy, lets go away for the weekend.

Had a bad week? Let's drive 4 hours to dinner somewhere and explore another state. When there was never enough money anyway, it didn't matter if you spent more than you should. Short by $1 or $100 hardly mattered.

I wouldn't go back to those days. Not at all. And that isn't what I'm saying. However, I can remember them fondly. Especially when I'm itching to go someplace for a weekend away to hang out with these people I love so much. I just long to get away, just the 4 of us. Just to hang out and have fun. Get a place with a pool. Splash around. Go to dinner. Lay in bed and watch TV.

But these days those trips don't happen. There is too much going on. Too many responsibilities. Work to do. Bills to pay. We were once young and stupid and poor. And really our choices weren't smart. They were FUN but they weren't smart. Now we plan our fun. We BUDGET. When we think of taking off somewhere I think of the grocery bill or the price of gas.

I think there must be a happy middle ground somewhere.

And it isn't that we don't have fun. Not at all. I do miss being spontaneous though. I miss the us that would take off for the weekend to Pigeon Forge, spend a Day in Texas or New Orleans. We're better situated now. We are trying our best to do the right things for our family. I don't regret that. I just look forward to a time where maybe we can do both.

Just rambling....

No comments:

Post a Comment