Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Oh, Christmas Tree....

Yes, I've got my Christmas tree up. Before you send me out to the woodshed, let me explain. I've been a little down lately. The Christmas decorations make me feel good. My house is cozy. It's Merry and Bright and filled with wonderful Christmas memories. I'm travelling for Thanksgiving week. Jamie will be here most of the week but I'll be in WV. With the tree up and the house decorated, I know that all I have to do is come home and start enjoying the season. The boxes are emptied and put back into the storage room. Everything has been taken out, admired, dusted and lovingly scattered around the house. I'm sure that we'll add a few things here and there. We always try to pick up a thing or two. However, for now I'm done.

It feels good.

Sarah is completely overwhelmed. Everything she sees is greeted with "Oh, WOWWWW!" It's pretty stinking cute! I gave Nicholas several boxes of decorations that were past their prime and some extra lights. He spent the afternoon decking out his playroom. It's brighter than Vegas. But, he's happy.

Jamie ran short on lights so we have to make a trip to Sam's club to pick up more LED lights for the house. We somehow miscalculated by about 10 boxes. Doesn't say much about our math skills. And he's and engineer. We consider it an investment in future Christmases. It's been a while since we really bothered with lights on the roof and all. Since we moved out of our house in Evans, WV really. We've put them up on porches and such and I think we did put some up on the house we had in Indy before. But, we're buying these lights with this house in mind for the future. And as I decorated I was thinking how nice it would be to unpack the boxes and know where everything goes. So, maybe next year it will be easier.

While we were decorating our Christmas tree I was thinking about all the ornaments. Some that represent our kids, some our family and some we buy on our travels and trips. Our tree offers a little view into our lives. It was a journey through the past 12 years starting in 1999 with our "First Ornament" as a couple. The tree marks the places we've lived, the places we've visited and 8 years of Christmas without Sarah. Nicholas would hold up an ornament as we were decorating and ask, "When were we in Texas?" or "I remember when we got this one!"

It's become much more than a Christmas tree. It has become a scrapbook or our lives. I can't wait to see what new places, new experiences and memories we add to it in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment