Thursday, November 10, 2011

The world is a mess...

The news is starting to get to me lately. I don't understand people. I just don't understand how people can do what they do to each other and how other people can walk away without guilt because it isn't their problem. I don't understand how the economy works or what drives gas prices or the market. I don't understand why unemployment pays better than a hard-working honest job someone could do but won't do because they'd be LOSING money.  I don't understand what makes people so horrible. The state of the world is a mess and I'm sick of it.

Where is the good? Doing the right thing can be hard. It can cost a person or a family a lot. I'm so sick of every one's entitled attitudes. I'm sick of listening to how people DESERVE things in life. I'm just sick of people in general, I guess. I'm sick of people complaining all the time about every tiny imagined grievance. I highly doubt the world in conspiring against you. Really.

I just feel like building a cocoon and hiding out in it until the world gets its act together. However, I think I'd be in there a long time. Nicholas has recently started watching the news. He asks a lot of questions on the why and how. It's fine. We aren't the kind of parents who shelter him from things like that. Still, it makes you realize how numb you can get tot he world around you as you get older. At what point in our lives did we stop asking WHY people do what they do and just accept that people are messed up? I found it sad when I realized that I'm rarely actually shocked at by what people do.

Oddly enough my bad attitude has me wanting to decorate for Christmas. I just want to put up my cozy decorations and make the rest of the world go away. I want to wrap my children in a throw blanket and watch Christmas movies and drink hot cocoa and forget the wolves at our doors. Yes, it is early. Yes, thank you, I am a bit crazy.

I am also, thankfully, a bit of an optimist. I think most people are basically good. A little self-centered but basically good. And I realize that I could and should get out and do my part to make the world a better place.

In the mean time, I make our own little world a better place. I do what I can to keep things here at home under control, clean, comfortable and cozy. Jamie and I run our little corner of the world the best way we know how. We make the economic policy and do the best we can to stay on budget. We handle family relations and try to be as diplomatic as possible. At the heart of our decisions though will always be the knowledge that we will do whatever is best for OUR family. Whatever is necessary to protect OUR family and our life within the walls of our home. So, for this season of our life the world can handle its own problems. We'll be busy doing our part to make the world a better place by providing a loving stable home for our children and doing our best to turn them into caring, honest and productive individuals.

And maybe putting up the Christmas tree.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. I try to shy away from the news for the most part - because it makes me angry, but I can't hide from it altogether. We are also not the type of family to shelter the children from "certain" news. Some of it is just too sad. Hug your babies and I'll hug mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete