It's Monday! All of our stuff, every single thing we own, is all in one place. And that, my friend, is what we call progress. You can't walk through the garage and I wouldn't open any closets without standing back a bit but, it's all here. Every broom, bucket, toy, and hanger. So, in this move we have downsized by about 1,000 square feet and this has posed some challenges. However, I think it is all going to work out. We don't feel cramped and everyone has their own space.
There are three big challenges right now. Sarah's play room, our bedroom and the garage. We gave Sarah the den/office for her toys and such. It was a sacrifice for us because the office is going in our bedroom but it is nice for her to have a space and for me to have a place to put all her things when she is done. It's a little unorganized and out of control at the moment and that is mostly due to her lack of shelves.
The same could be said of our bedroom. The room is really big so it can handle the office stuff as far as space goes. The problem is we don't have any....shelves! I have 7 boxes of books and school supplies just sitting in a corner and no where to put them.
The solution is simple. A trip to IKEA and a couple hundred dollars and we will be good to go. Unfortunately neither of those things are in the cards at the moment so I'm trying to make do and work it out.
The other challenging space is the garage and it DOES have shelves. The only problem is that those shelves are buried in that mess somewhere in pieces. I actually saw the brackets for the Gorilla shelves up in Nicholas closet. At least the garage can be fixed without buying anything or a trip to Ohio. We (and when I say we I mean Jamie) have to pull everything out of the garage, find the shelves, put them together, and put everything back in the garage and on the shelves. Well, almost everything. Some things that are out there actually need to come inside. I'm not sure WHERE inside they are going to go but nevertheless, there are things that are missing. Like a $40 box of K-cups that I got from Sam's Club right before we moved. Those 86 K-cups for coffee are out there somewhere. I'm out of coffee and it sure would be nice to find them! A bit of good news, though. Jamie DID find my iron last night. I thought I was going to have to go buy another one. It's the small victories, really.
We've met some neighbors and waved at others. It's odd being back in a neighborhood. Yesterday morning someone on our street started mowing their grass. The next thing you know another person did, and another and another....Now Jamie is coming home to mow because it is hard enough being new but even harder if you are the new neighbor with the overgrown yard! No one has had to mow the grass in two months because of the drought but the little rain we had last week made everything take off like crazy.
I should make a confession. We have been secretly watering a few of our trees. The landscaping was brand new in the spring and very expensive. They bought really BIG trees and shrubs. We have a nice Birch tree in the back that is on the brink and so after talking to the back neighbor we have been quietly running a house out to the tree and watering it. We have a watering ban right now and I THINK it is only for the yard but the details are kind of vague. You can "hand water." So, I think if I hold the hose and water the tree that is not that much different than carrying a bucket. I'm not turning on a sprinkler and leaving it. We have lost a couple of the shrubs. I think they are past the point of no return. We'll probably have to dig them out in the spring. Boo!
Last night Nicholas and I pulled some weeds. We had on kitchen gloves because finding yard gloves in the garage...not going to happen. I was doing them bare-handed but they are those little prickly weeds and my hand was hurting. Even looking dumb in kitchen gloves and secretly watering our tree, it felt good to be out in OUR yard making things nice.
Jamie does the walk-through this afternoon with the rental company for the old house. We went over yesterday and gave everything one last wipe down, that house is SO DUSTY even empty. Stanly Steamer came in and did some of the carpets. So, hopefully we'll get back most of our deposit and be able to catch back up and off-set some of the moving expenses.
Definitely hoping it goes well this afternoon!!!!!
And on that note, I'm going to go and mop the kitchen floor before the kids wake up. Nothing like a productive Monday morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment