Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Seasons...

I was pondering a bit today about the seasons. I love them. Each and every one. I love the change. The anticipation of Spring, the excitement of Summer, the first crisp days of Fall and the knowledge that winter brings lovely holidays and a long slumber. I think I would hate to be stuck in one season. Right now I am longing for Spring. Aching for it. Anticipating it. Planning for it. To me that is a good thing. It allows for plans, ambitions, and changes.

Life has seasons as well. I was firmly planted in my season before Sarah. I was a Mom to a kid. We were past all those little boy things. There were no sippy cups, diaper bags or toys that sing in the middle of the night. I had gotten comfortable in that season of my life. Well rested. And now my life has changed so much. We're back in that time of tripping over brightly colored blocks, accidentally kicking a toy piano in the middle of the night and cursing it's very existence. There are still night-time feedings and we look forward to many diaper changes. Things suddenly got so much busier.

It's all so good. It's all so wonderful. Chubby baby fingers playing with my hair. Big sloppy wet kisses. A delighted face banging on a toy. A sly thought about removing the batteries of 4 or 20 things. The maturity in a 9-year-old boy that wasn't there a few short months ago. His ease and delight with his baby sister.

Our Sarah, she came along and turned our world upside down. She's a pill. She's into everything and full of personality. She has a terrible temper and the ability to turn the males in this house into her slaves. She gets that from me. I'm hopelessly spoiled around here. But Sarah, she rules with a gap-toothed smile and a giggle. There are bottles to wash and a boy trying to sneak pot roast from the crock pot.

I'm happy in this season right now. I anticipate those that are yet to come.

1 comment:

  1. It gets both harder and easier as time goes on. Mine are 5 and 13 now. I stay on the move! Our littlest (also a girl) is a firecracker. Nothing like her older brother, a calm, gentle child (he still is, unless he's pulling the "Sullen Teen" routine). Each day brings new challenges, surprises and joy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete