Friday, March 25, 2011

Convenient? Sacrifice? Laziness? Or just easier...

You know what? I think sometimes I make things too hard on myself. For one example, I feel like I have to plan these elaborate home-cooked meals six days a week. With breakfasts and lunches as well. And while that is a fabulous thing, at this point in my life it just isn't working out.

Jamie is in the busiest season of his career. He just got a big promotion (GO JAMIE!) and he's really working very hard. There are a lot of nights he's late. Sarah is starting to eat table food but really, she's not going to chow down on roasted chicken legs. And it really seems kind of lame for Nicholas and I to sit down to this big dinner and save Jamie a plate.

Now, I'm a BIG believer in family meal time. I really am. I feel most families today are disconnected. Meals together offer a chance to slow down and catch up. However, that being said, I'm a homeschooler. I'm with my kids 24/7. We're not really needing to slow down and catch up with each other. It isn't fair to make Nicholas wait to eat when Jamie gets home. The kid is active and hungry. And frankly, cleaning the kitchen at 8:00 at night is not my idea of fun.

Jamie and I also started Weight Watchers. My weight is down and Jamie's is steady but age and our life lately, things are settling differently. We want to make sure we are fit and active for our kids. Frankly, Nicholas is skinny as a rail. Sure, he could eat better but a few months of more easily prepared meals won't hurt him. Jamie and I will eat more fish, lean meats and salads as the weather warms.

Even with Jamie working late during the week, our weekends are spent out together. In the summer we'll picnic or play in the yard. Trips to the zoo and Chicago. We do a lot together. I think giving up "family dinner time" for a few months won't hurt us. By Fall, things will settle down for Jamie with work, the nights will be cool and the days will shorten and sitting down to dinner will be the thing again. So, I don't think we'll miss out.

I plan on a big Sunday dinner once a month. And as I said, we'll picnic when we can. State parks are one of our favorite entertainments!

So, now I'll just need to dig up some point friendly easy meals that can be eaten later for Jamie and I or reheated when I don't wait. I also think I could expand my thinking and that maybe boxed tacos ARE a homecooked meal. Convenience can't be all bad. So, maybe I'll make some new finds and we'll come away with some easy new favorites. And I'll have time this summer and my sanity and won't be running a short order counter!

That's the idea!

1 comment:

  1. I have a hard time with meal planning too. Every one is super picky. I like doing tacos or spaghetti - tacos heat up well for a later dinner and I make my own meatballs - those in a sauce hold up really well for a later meal (or even lunch the next day for me).

    ReplyDelete