Monday, April 30, 2012

New house or Old house Or.....what?!

It's Monday already. I think it is going to be "one of THOSE" days. I've already had to run Jamie's lunch out after him and dropped my Einstein Brothers Bagel on the floor, cream cheese side DOWN, of course. We bought 2 bagels as a treat and so I just scraped the cream cheese off and put on a fresh coat.

We spent a busy weekend looking at houses. New construction and driving though some existing neighborhoods. We're at a crossroads with our house where a decision needs to be made. Jamie and I are going back and forth about 6 times a day. We've let Nicholas be part of things because after 13 moves the boy deserves to have a say. He's probably been the most sensible of us all. He declared last night that we just need to take a couple days and think about all our options.

It's so easy to get seduced by those new homes with their family-friendly layouts and their monster kitchens that stop my heart just a little bit. And this place has the well water that I hate and Direct TV that Jamie despises. But our yard is a monster! And the price is right. Though we can afford a great deal more. We made the mistake of going to look at what we can "afford" according to the bank. And it all went down-hill from there. First of all, I'd need a maid. Second of all the neighborhood was "cold." There weren't any toys hanging out in the yards. No homemade sandboxes or pink push cars in the driveways. So, as lovely as everything was, it was easy to say "no thanks" to that idea. So then we went to a nice family-friendly neighborhood with a pool, tennis courts, walking trails, and playgrounds. New homes with spacious layouts and "homework" centers right off the kitchen. And the kitchens...acres of counter space, cook tops, double ovens, beautiful custom cabinets. It's just too painful to talk about the master bathroom so we'll just forget that. There were people out and kids running around. And though Jamie and I are not social people our kids are and it would be nice not to have to bus in friends for them all the time.

The problem is, we need a little more time. We need to pay down some more things and save a little more money. The other problem is that the lease is up on this house July 31. We've been offered a new 2-year lease with an option to buy. So, the problem is we may not need 2-years. Probably a year before we're ready. We have approval on and an apartment reserved in our name at a luxury complex down the street. The thing is like a resort in a master planned community. But the apartment itself is on the small side at 1300 square feet. We are comfortable FILLING 3000 square feet now. With barely any room to spare. I'm not a weenie. I can downsize and even enjoy the year of living with less STUFF. I could have my big sunken tub, the apartment actually has 2. No well water. A pool, tennis courts, a fitness center, an indoor basketball court, pool tables, shuffle board and a BEACH with a mile and a half walking trail. I told Jamie it'd be like being on vacation.

But the space issue. And the keeping the kids quiet issue. And not having a yard. Walking the dog. Deciding what gets stored and what goes with us. What if there is a problem and the house is delayed and we're stuck in an apartment.

And I do love this house. But she needs a lot of updating. A new kitchen, new carpet, new flooring, the roof is on the iffy side. The yard is awesome though. However I really hate having well water and a septic system. At some point all of that is going to need maintenance and new pumps. The septic pump was replaced in 2007 when the original pump failed after 5 years. So, there will be that. And I know, I'm in Indiana, this isn't West Virginia, water is more than plentiful and I probably couldn't run it dry for days and days. But then again, all the new construction is on top of our aquifer. Somebody digs a little too deep and we're contaminated or busted. The likelihood is small but it's there. The the health department lady was telling Jamie that they do have things become contaminated and you have to sanitize them by pouring bleach down the well. Okaaaay. I just want to turn the tap on and out comes water. We buy bottled because the water is plentiful but it stinks to high heaven and tastes AWFUL. So we have a delivery service.

There are just so many unknowns. I'm afraid to move the family into an apartment and have a delay in buying. I'm afraid to stay here for 2 years and feel stuck. The management company will no longer be maintaining this house and the owners are 3 hours away. I don't think they are going to rush over to fix things and I'm pretty sure I'm not spending our money to fix things they are supposed to take care of. It took 8 weeks to get a new dishwasher as it was. We're more than capable of doing it but frankly, that is why we are paying a premium. We pay on time, we take care of the house and treat it like our own. The least they could do is fix the shingles that blew off in the storm and fix the appliances they are legally obligated to provide in a "timely" manner. Which I don't think 8-weeks qualifies for.

But, maybe I'm just being bitter. Confused. I enjoy living here. I miss neighborhood trick-or-treating and Christmas lights. Neither of our neighbors even bothered. However, the neighbors are both great people. Friendly but not all in your business.

Well, I'm just getting myself all worked up again. So, on that note, I'm going to go and have some coffee because more caffeine always helps! Have a good Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your decision - I'm sure you'll arrive at the one that fits the family's needs the best. It's a big step! :-)

    ReplyDelete