My baby girl has a birthday coming up in less than a month. We do birthdays big around here. I'm not sure why or when or even how it all started, it's just the way we are. My birthday can last for a whole week. And next year, when I hit the big one, aside from being a depressed mess, I'm going to do it big. I'm going to ask for what I want. And I'll know that a month after that, Jamie hits the same big number, he'll get his shot at being King.
Nicholas always goes to a cabin for his birthday. That is his "thing." When we were out in Utah he didn't get to do it and we celebrated just the 3 (then 4) of us at home. He was good about it. Last year we rented a Yurt and were nearly eaten by some wild animal trying to get into our tent. Good time. This year, we have a lovely cabin in the wilderness of West Virginia. It sits on a river with some great fishing. We're going to fish. We're going to have a big camp fire and some awesome food. I am really looking forward to the whole thing! And we'll ride Cass Railroad. This will be our 9th time. He's ridden every year for his birthday except the 2 we were in Utah. I tried to talk him into something else but he wasn't having any of that!
Now, Sarah, this is only her second birthday. She was born over Memorial weekend so it stands to reason her birthday will always fall near the holiday. We're doing a family thing for her. She's too little to really worry about the whole having a ton of kids over thing. But she has some family that loves her to pieces, rotten little thing that she is. She's a bit obsessed with Toy Story and Jessie so I think she's going to just have a Toy Story party heavy on the cowgirl. So her party will be here and we'll fill the backyard with some family and some presents. Just what every little girl needs!
Two is such a fun age. I'm just bursting with things I want to get her. I love how the imagination develops when they get this age. I love watching her play with her baby dolls and talk to them and check their diapers. She puts them "ni-night" and pushes them around in the stroller. She loves to color and scribble. I am thinking I'll get her an easel. And a battery powered water gun. Her brother has one and frankly, it is time to even the odds. I know she can work it because he left it on the deck and I ended up with wet knees when she figured out the trigger.
These are the moments that help us remember why we do the things we do. Watching our sweet little miracle turn 2. Taking a break from the silly things we worry about to remember how great our life is.
If you're not staying in one of the company houses at Cass, please look into it. We've been several times...but last time we booked a company house and it was SO nice - and affordable. :-) Have a great trip!
ReplyDelete