Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Babies, cars, school, and an overprotective Mommy

First of all, the fact that the little baby up there is nearly in the last box is kind of FREAKING ME OUT! I start weekly appointments this week. The bad thing is, I can't seem to keep my glucose numbers down any more. I can't even LOOK at a carb. It may be time for insulin, we'll see on Wednesday.

I keep thinking I'll get a lot done once Nicholas high tails it off to "Camp Grammer" for his summer of fun. However, knowing my luck, the minute I know he is safely landed on the ground, I'll be in the hospital having a baby. In the short time he is away this summer they are going to Dino World, the Air Force Museum, a cabin, a family reunion, to Uncle Charlies and maybe even a water park. He's got a new four-wheeler to ride there in his "spare" time. To say he is excited would be an understatement.

He is really excited about going away this summer. His Mommy? Completely freaked out. I just want to keep him here with me where I know he's OK. I totally trust my parents and brother and sister-in-law. They worship the kid for crying out loud. He won't lack for attention and they would never ignore him and will keep him safe. But still, I keep trying to think of ways not to let him go. I'm horrible. I know that it is a lot of the hormones talking, too. Plus I've always been a bit of a mama bear anyway. On one hand I'm so happy he is going to have a fun summer. On the other hand, it's hard to let go. But let go I must.

We went car shopping over the weekend. We are a one car family and we make it work. We decided since we were doing so much better and the baby was coming to just go out and look at our options. We took some test drives, found some things we liked. Looked new and used, secured financing and.....decided to walk away and stay a one-car family. We came home and did the budget and while we could fit a car in there, we would lose a lot of the freedom we've come to treasure. I LIKE having more money than month these days. I LIKE being able to buy something for Nicholas or the baby or even, *gasp* MYSELF if I see it. We like being able to eat out if we want. We're still paying off bills, too. And if we took that money we were going to spend on a car payment and put it to our bills it would go that much faster. Also, we live 2 blocks from a bus stop. My husband works with the Transit authority and rides for free. He can easily leave me the truck. It sucks for him and I don't like to make him do it because his schedule can sometimes be flexible and riding the bus leaves him stuck. However, to save that payment every month, we'll do it a couple times a week. I could always pick him up from work and score dinner out downtown anyway! It's silly but I was kind of proud we walked away. We had the financing ready to go and just couldn't pull the trigger. We knew we had to think it over and when we did, we walked. I was kind of proud of us.

Nicholas and I are finishing up his school year. I'm getting ready to crack open a new notebook and make some plans for 2010-2011 school year. We have a lot of ground to cover next year and we are OUT of pretty much every supply. Paints are dried up, pens have disappeared, paper clips have to be scavenged and the pencil sharpener is grinding to a halt. It looks like rain today and a good day for me to look at our curriculum choices, hit the catalogs, ready some orders, make a list of supplies and hand Jamie the budget. The only thing I'll be missing in my pot of coffee. Maybe I'll make a pot of decaf just for the smell to get me going. With the new little one, I need to be much more ready and organized this coming year. I have some fun plans in mind. I'll share them here in a few days.

We went with Sonlight this year and I have to say, didn't care for it. The concept was good the the books were not our taste. At all. We both found it boring and hard to plow through. He's much more hands on. He LIKES work sheets. They use K12 in the schools around here and I'm going to look at that. Also Calvert. So, I'm curriculum shopping yet again. And I just realized my catalogs are in a box in the basement. Guess I'm online shopping. It's fine. It's raining anyway. There is ink in the printer and I can print out things I want. Yes, I could bookmark them on the laptop but I'm a visual person. I'm also a "hands on" person. I need to see it and feel it. I LIKE paper and pens. My husbands spreadsheets drive me NUTS. But that is a topic for another day.

And I'm off to figure out what to have for dinner. I've really got to get a plan next week! I think rejoining Menu Plan Monday would be ideal.

4 comments:

  1. Check out the Seton home schooling materials. They're very reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way, as far as liking to have it ON PAPER, in front of me. Tim's like Jamie...loves the spreadsheets. He even puts packing lists on spreadsheets. I think there's something wrong with them both ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I don't know if you remember me, but I posted a comment about moving to Wyoming (about 2 hours from SLC) last fall. I'm Amy, originally from Alabama.

    We have decided to homeschool our oldest son this fall (6th grade) and I have been researching curriculums for the past week. You might want to check out Abeka. I have a friend that uses it with her girls and she said it uses a lot of worksheets to keep them interested. We are also looking into K12 through Wyoming's Virtual Academy (free to Wyoming residents). My husband is 100% for that, but I like looking at my options.

    I'm excited to see your fun ideas. :) I can't wait to start organizing and getting ready.

    Evil Twin's Wife - Thank you for the Seton tip -I'm going to check that out this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the suggestion on curriculum! I'm going to start checking them out tomorrow.

    Amy in Wyoming...I hope your move was easy and you are enjoying Wyoming. We went up that way at the end of summer last year. It's really pretty. I, for one, am ready for it to warm up and stay warm, though!

    ReplyDelete