Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fuzzy blankets and hot cocoa...

I've slowly conquered the laundry pile. There was a LOT of it. 4 people, a couple changes of clothes a day. One of us changed 3 or 4 times a day depending on how sticky she got and how much dirt she managed to find while sticky. It was just a lot of laundry. I kept saying I was going to take a morning or evening and go to the laundry room by the pool and do a load or two but there was just never time. So, it all came home with us. Wet, sticky, smelly laundry. My least favorite part of vacation.

I can't believe it is already Thursday. Or that we've only been back a few days. In some ways vacation seems so far away already. At least I'm drinking coffee from my new Mickey Mouse mug.

I'm contemplating what's next. This weekend is my son's 10th birthday. We are taking him on a camping trip. I know. It sounded like a good idea two months ago when he requested it. I'm having a hard time mustering up any kind of excitement for it, though. We just got home and there is SO much to do. However, you only turn double-digits once! And hey, as long as I have a camp chair and some magazines I'll be good to go. Sarah should be interesting, though. She seems to be a very good traveler. Enjoys sleeping in her pack and play. Was game for all sorts of adventures. So, I'm hopeful she'll enjoy our tiny camping trip, too. At the very least the weather is supposed to be really nice.

And the magazines I'm taking camping are two of my favorites. Christmas Taste of Home and the Christmas Country Sampler. I saw them at Walmart on Sunday and I'm going back for them tomorrow.

Otherwise, I've just been setting some goals and plotting some projects. Fall will turn into winter before we know it. The days are growing shorter, we're spending more time inside. The kids seem to be bottomless pits this time of year as far as food goes. Guess they are storing up for winter. My snack cupboard is constantly being raided. Even by the little one. She stands there with the cabinet open banging on the door going "Nack, NACK!!" Which is Sarah for "Mother, may I please have a snack if it is convenient for you."

Even though it has been near 80, the nights are chilly. The breeze has a bit of a bite in it and you can feel the winter looming. I've been digging out snow clothes. Hoping Nicholas will get another year out of his good snow pants at least. I know he'll need boots. Sarah will need it all. I'm thinking a pink sparkly snow suit and furry boots.

So, we'll start gathering throw blankets and soft pillows. We'll add more soups, stews and baked goodies to our rotation. The family room is getting a top to bottom clean because it is going to be getting some hard use over the colder seasons. And we'll go forward into the seasons of sparkling lights and family get togethers. We'll by hot cocoa in bulk and those little tiny lipton noodle soups for when someone isn't feeling well. My constant companion will be a mug of hot tea. Sarah will have to learn to wear socks. Sweats will become the school uniform around here.

And it's good. I'm ready. It's been a long, hot, busy summer. I'm ready for a little time inside. A little less time on the run and a big mug of hot cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment