I almost hated to write a new post. I loved my pumpkin patch pictures and didn't want to see them sent down the page. But, alas, life must move forward . There is something very wonderful about a visit to the pumpkin patch, though. We're going to have to make it a Fall tradition and not so much hit or miss.
It seems we'll be partaking in another Holiday tradition this year. We'll be taking out the ole front-wheel drive sleigh in search of that all important Christmas Symbol. No, not one of those ties with all the Santas on it. We'll be cutting down a Christmas tree this year. Nicholas has asked and asked. And then asked again. It doesn't help that our favorite Christmas movie is "Christmas Vacation." And that we just watched it for the 158th time. I really didn't want to get a real tree this year. I don't enjoy sweeping up pine needles. I'm sure Sarah will be picking them up and eating them. I have a perfectly fine pre-lit plastic tree in the garage. However, the boy is 10 and if he is still interested in doing that kind of family thing, well then, we'll bundle up and head to the tree farm and grab a saw. I have some opinionated people around here. It will be interesting to see if we can agree on a tree. The last time we did this we nearly froze to death before we decided. It was 13 degrees. At least the tree place serves free hot chocolate. I think last time I just wanted to pour it into my boots so I could feel my toes again. Jamie made me drink it instead. He is such a stickler for the rules.
I hate to tell this story because it really makes us look kind of cruel. However, that last time we went and cut down a Christmas tree, we brought it home and set it up and slipped a realistic looking squirrel in its branches. See, Nicholas was 5 or 6 and he LOVED the squirrel scene in Christmas Vacation. Cracked him the heck up. So, thinking it would be funny we put that fake squirrel in the tree when we brought it home. He went up to the tree and saw it and Jamie yelled, "SQUIRREL!!!!!" Nicholas started screaming and crying and totally freaking out. He calmed down but he still didn't want to help decorate it or anything. I was horrified. We ruined Christmas. Super parenting!
It worked out but he never did think it was funny. We gave the fake squirrel to the dogs to play with. They decapitated it.
Oh sweet holiday memories. The things that make life worth living.
Oh, poor Nicholas! But I can see it wasn't your intention to scare him. Can you believe I have never seen Christmas Vacation? I'm going to watch it this year with Evan. I hear good things. :)
ReplyDeleteWe have had years with real trees and years with artificial. Since we have moved to WV, we have been going to a tree farm to cut down our own. It's a lot of fun. It's been snowing the two years we have gone there and it is so beautiful!
Last year we got greedy and cut down a tree for upstairs and one for the basement. They're only $20, no matter the size! One year in Georgia, we paid $80 for a real tree! I'm not sure if we'll have 2 trees this year. They have very pretty real wreaths too. The needles are annoying, but it's been worth it so far. We don't get free hot chocolate, though. :(