Tuesday, October 11, 2011

So, the camping...

So, we've Disney'd and now we've camped. It was a fun camping weekend. The weather was outstanding! It was maybe a little chilly to sleep in a tent at night but I don't sleep well in a tent anyway. Although we had a great time, I'm not a tent camper. I missed our camper. And on the second night, Jamie and I decided we really liked having a door between us and the wildlife who are trying to eat us. I'm sure the screaming, clawing, yapping and growling at our tent windows was just raccoons fighting or something, in my mind, at 1 in the morning they were Grizzly bears here to eat my children.

And speaking of children, Sarah was a natural born camper. She buried herself in leaves, ate s'mores, ran around gathering Walnuts and sticks, tried to ride her brother's bicycle, shook trees, took walks and bundled up by the fire. She even rode around on the handlebars of my Dad's bike until my Mom saw and went into full-on freak out mode. I was glad she did it so I didn't have to.

And it was a fun weekend. Nicholas had a great campfire birthday. He was old enough to start the fire and keep it going. A task that he greatly enjoyed. He spend the whole day playing in it. And riding his bike. But, it is good to have everyone home. It was nice to have the kids tucked up safe and sound in their own rooms and in their own beds. It was nice to be sleeping up off the ground and to have a hot shower with more than half a curtain of privacy.

I love camping. Love everything about it. However, I was too stressed out with the tent. Everything was unorganized, nothing was able to be put away. It was cold and scary. Even Nicholas said he thought he'd rather camp in a camper thankyouverymuch. So, I guess we'll be keeping an eye out for a camper in a year or so. I'm not even a tiny bit embarrassed by it. I can cook an entire meal on the tailgate of a truck. I just want some privacy and some metal between me and the wilderness. And a bed that is off the ground.

And now, it is back to our regular programming around here. I'm so happy! We're taking today as a "life skills" day at school which means cleaning rooms and doing laundry and helping Mommy straighten the school room which is way out of control. My To-Do list is very very long.

Going to go and start opening some windows while it is cool this morning and enjoying the sound of the rustling leaves and the crisp bite of the Fall breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment