I have a problem. Well, OK I have lots of problems but right now I'm trying to figure out my veggies. See, I had a blod clot after Sarah was born so I'm on blood thinners. They work by doing something with the Vitamin K. Which, long story short, means I can't have foods high in vitamin K. That includes most green veggies. No broccoli, no big salads, no spinach etc.
Now, my problem is this. I've been losing weight. I'm down 50 pounds and very proud of myself. I'm getting stuck on what to have as a vegetable with my meals. I'd be 100% happy to have a salad with every meal but I can't. I can do about a cup of iceberg lettuce. So, that is what I do. But, it's getting old. This week I had zucchini and asparagus. Neither of which was a hit with my husband. At all. He would have liked the zucchini fried and probably the asparagus with creamy cheesy sauce. That kind of defeats the purpose here though.
So, do I just go the 6 months I'm on the meds without vegetables? I don't really expect the cosmos to answer but I'm getting desperate. I need a filler. I liked to use the salad to fill out my meal.
This is not a life-altering problem. Not really even an important one. But really, I could totally go for a big salad. A big fresh, crunchy, yummy salad.
Try doing squash and zucchinis in butter/margarine and some garlic sauce, sautee until the veggies are the doneness you like. Yummy! Artichokes with a drawn lemon butter to dip in are also tasty. I like cauliflower with ranch sauce and cut up pieces of a block of cheese and whole wheat crackers. I eat a lot of odd foods (like tofu, love black olives all by themselves, etc.) And, I was a vegetarian for 9 years. Let me know what's on the approved list and I can offer some other suggestions.
ReplyDeleteI forgot about Artichokes and cauliflower. We're headed to the farmer's market on Saturday and hopefully I'll find some alternatives!
ReplyDelete