Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bring on the Fall!

We had a wonderful visit with my brother and sister-in-law. It was really a great visit. The kids both had a wonderful time. We went to Arches National Park. We always take visitors there, it seems. It's an easy drive and unique scenery. It was Sarah's first road trip. She was excellent!

And now it's time to start ushering in Fall. My flowers are dying, the mornings are in the 50s and it's just time to bid this summer good-bye. I won't even pretend I'm sorry to see it go. It's been a wonderful and rough one at the same time.

We're going to spend our Labor Day weekend getting ready for the Fall and Winter. Going to pull out and start washing winter clothes, coats and gear. Have to see what fits and what needs replaced. It SEEMS like we might get an early winter, which is fine with me this year. We'll probably sit down and do a "State of the Household" meeting. Figure the budget, decide our priorities for next Spring, see what needs accomplished. We need to concrete our holiday plans and our winter plans in general. I want to cozy the house up a bit with new throws, new curtains in the living room and a couple new rugs in the kitchen. We spend a lot of time at home over the winter, we should enjoy the setting. I want to fill the freezer and pantry with healthy and comforting home-cooked food. I can't wait to pick up the Fall magazines and read them with a cup of coffee in the cool of the morning.

I'm ready to make more baked suppers, retire the grill for a bit (though we do still grill in the winter, just not as often), enjoy the smell of Fall candles and the sight of pumpkin orange everywhere we go. I'm going to dig out my Fall decorations and hopefully get a jump on things. I'm just ready for the sun to take on more of that golden tone, to set a bit earlier and to grab a cozy sweatshirt for an evening outside. I'm ready for movie nights under a blanket with my husband. Game nights with the boy. Dragging out the Wii-fit and enjoying playing inside.

Sarah is big enough and well enough that we can get to Church now. There will be activities and people to meet. There is a life to build over this winter. I hope to spend a lot of time hibernating. A lot of time bettering myself. A lot of time building our life one brick at a time. And emerge in the Spring ready to be active, to travel and see more of this land we're living in.

All in all, I'm ready for the change in season and the hope it brings.

1 comment:

  1. ... and if I remember right... I about fell over on Sept. 1, 2009 when, still at 90 degrees, you had ripped down any sign of summer and there were fall leaves on your porch and any other decor that fit with the fall decorations!!! I hope you have a great autumn and YES, I could feel an early winter coming on before I left. My bleeding hearts had started to die a couple weeks eariler than normal. I made it to SC last week and the truck followed. I'm piled high in boxes but am unpacking as we speak. I had a job interview this morning and it looks like it may pan out (first resume out and an interview??? go figure... probably should have done this a while back...). I don't know if it can be any amount of pay but I'm going for a second interview next week... we'll see. I stopped at Arches on the way out but it had flooded. So, I didn't get to see the delicate arch... darn... I did see canyonlands and WHY have I not been there before my way out??? So, beautiful!! Glad you had time with family. I do love the southern hospitality. I went to Lowe's last weekend and it had to be the nicest one I have ever been to. AND then, the lady at Walmart actually hugged me when I saw her almost out of bags and went over and got more and brought them back to her... Everyone has been so nice. I have enjoyed being home with family. I'm so glad you are having such a great time with yours as well... I'll write more later... but saw the post and couldn't help but remember this time last year. Post pictures!!

    ReplyDelete