Monday, August 9, 2010

What happened to summer?

I feel like we've missed summer. I guess the truth of it is that we have missed summer. May was spent moving in. June 1 Sarah was born and the rest of June was spent in the NICU. July had one good week then I got sick and lost most of the month between the hospital and recovering.

Now it is mid-August at we're looking at starting school. I got an email about Fall color for September in the Mountains. There are beautiful sweaters and fall clothes everywhere I look. It's crazy.

So, I'm turning my thoughts to salvaging what is left of summer or at the very least to enjoying the warmer weather before winter comes. It comes earlier here, bringing the snow with it. That is it's own brand of fun but for right now, salvaging this summer is what it is about.

We have a boatload in medical bills, even with excellent insurance, so that leaves the budget kind of tight. Still there are things we can do. I'm thinking a day-long picnic, mini golf, maybe the zoo. We have to keep Sarah in mind whatever we do. She's not a fan of the car or her car seat. I think that will pass as she gets older.

All I know is that I'm tired of being "down." I'd love to just chuck all the responsibilities and grab a vacation. DisneyLand anyone? After this summer, the realization that life is short and full of the unexpected is right at the surface for us. Of course our trials would seem minor to a lot of people and that is OK. I'm thankful that everything has worked out for us. I'd love to be pampered. NOT taken care of. I've had enough of being taken care of. I just want to be pampered. Stay in a hotel, get good food, forget about the real world for just a couple days. Swim in a pool, get cleaned up and go to dinner, sleep in a bed I don't have to make.

BUT, that isn't going to happen so now we have to focus on creating a few happy moments for our summer. Moments where life is about the pleasure of being. Not the hectic craziness we've had lately.

I'm stuck looking for ideas to salvage the warm weather. In the mean time, I'm enjoying hanging out with my kids today. There are worse things!

No comments:

Post a Comment