Do you ever just dream for the sake of dreaming? Dream about things you want, places you would like to go, a life you would like to live and to give to your family. It's hard when those things are out of reach. Reality is, we're suburbanites. We live in a big city. Far from home. The economy is such that isn't likely to change any time soon.
We're nearing 40 at an alarming rate. I like to think we still have time for a few dreams. Our kids are still fairly young. We still have time to dream for them. To hope for them.
What do I dream when I allow myself to go into that place? I dream of a small town, with a main street where people still fly flags. Most of the town turns out for fireworks on the fourth of July. I dream we live a modest life, near or in the country. I have roses and a big garden. My kids run wild. Sarah's hair is a mess of tangles down her back while she chases fireflies and sticks them in a mayonnaise jar. Nicholas can fish and hunt and explore the woods. We have barbecues in our backyard without being on display to our neighbors. Jamie has a job he enjoys but leaves at the end of the day without obsessing or worrying. We have a small but lovely country home. We can drive home to see our families for the holidays. We have a fireplace for chilly winter nights.
It's not something we'll probably ever have. We'll do the best we can. We manage to be content where we are as long as we are together. Jamie's job is of the nature it must be done near a big or capital city.
And, Utah doesn't have fireflies.
And don't forget the cup of good hot chocolate by the fire as well... :) I haven't seen the fireflies here yet... maybe it's too late in the season BUT I did drive through a rain storm in AL on my drive here and it was WONDERFUL!!! That may be funny to some, but I love the rain and we haven't had rain here either in about 2 weeks BUT the humidity is low and it is BEAUTIFUL!!! Yeah... when you get to that dream... let me know, I want to live there too!!
ReplyDelete