Wednesday, September 29, 2010

This baby thing...

Even though this baby thing was unexpected, I think we are doing a fabulous job at it. I thought the giant age differences between the kiddos would be such a burden but it's not. It is, dare I say it, ideal, at the moment. Oh, I know that when Sarah starts to get mobile and destroys a castle or invades a space, things will get a little hairy. But right now, it's so nice. My boy LOVES his baby sister. He LOVES taking care of her and helping me out. He is genuinely upset when she cries. He's not jealous of any time spent with her. Or of all the attention she requires.

And today I was thinking about all the wonderful things I get to do again. Things that a few years ago I would have thought I'd never want to have to deal with again, and now seem like a treat. Another 9 years of Santa. Someone who will watch Mickey's Once (and Twice) upon a Christmas. Kitchen centers and play food. Play houses and battery cars in the yard. I get to do that all again. Kiss boo-boos and watch a personality develop. And I can't wait for any of it.

I'm loving every day with both my kids in a way that I couldn't appreciate when Nicholas was little. When he was little it was more about survival. It was all so new and I was so unsure of everything. We never had enough time or money. I'm older and more experienced and much much more confident. I don't need PERMISSION to do something with my baby. I don't call the pediatrician with every little question. I am smart, I know how to look it up and more than that, I am confident in my instincts as a Mom.

I had wonderful times with my boy when he was little. And he's so interesting now that he is growing. His interests are so diverse. And he's so SMART. He's clever. And yes, even a bit sneaky. And I'm just happy to be able to be and do all the things that I do for my family.

The age difference with the kids is a somewhat hard balance. I imagine vacations will be a nightmare with one wanting the big things and one the small. But, we'll manage. However, the age difference also is a blessing to me. Giving me a chance to have this whole baby thing be new again. And yet I still have the experience, and better yet, I've had the rest between them.

This baby thing seems to be working out nicely.

1 comment:

  1. It gets harder in some ways and easier in other ways. We went to Disney World when Buddy was 11 and Sissy was 3. Many of the rides we could all do, but the faster ones, Daddy and I took turns with Buddy to do those while the other parent spent time with Sissy doing other things. It worked out very nicely (except it was hotter than hades when we were there LOL).

    ReplyDelete