Thursday, September 10, 2009

Funky....

I've been in such a grumpy yucky funk this week. I think I'm finally snapping out of it. I've been behaving a bit like a spoiled, grouchy baby. I've been in Utah 2 months and because things haven't fallen right in to place I've been moaning and complaining and feeling like giving up. I've been blaming everyone around me, too. And that is NOT a good way to fall in love with your new home!

The truth is, I need to step out of my comfort zone and get OUT in the world. It's very hard for me. We're going to Park Day today for our little homeschool group. All the new members are coming. I'm vowing to give it a real shot. And we're attending Church this weekend. There's a small Church down the road and we're going this Sunday to feel things out. There are some nicer Churches on the north side of the city, where we'd like to eventually move, but travel time makes them nearly an hour from here. And I know us. If Church is an hour away, we won't go.

Truthfully, there are so many GOOD things going on in our life right now. I don't know why I'm borrowing trouble that isn't even there. We have a gorgeous home that even a couple years ago we would never have even dreamed of affording. Maybe it's not our dream home. The yard is tiny, the neighbors stand-offish. But, it's a lovely home, safe, comfortable, and well cared for. It's a good place for us to stop and get our feet grounded here in Utah. It's big enough to have the whole family here for Christmas. And I'm so excited about that! Our families, both of them, are flying all the way to Utah for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We have almost 3 weeks with Family here. We are incredibly blessed with people who love us and understand we couldn't come in for the holidays this year. Too soon after moving across the country.

We were able to afford to sit down at the computer and order a whole box of curriculum. No piecing it together.

Jamie's job is going amazingly well. He's busy and happy and working on something he loves. And at the end of the pay period there's money. It's been so long since that has happened. And we are thriving with one car. I wanted the truck today so he just walked down to the bus stop. The safe, fancy bus stop. Filled with other people in business suits, dress slacks and smiles. It's an express bus, even. No stops. When you compare that to the bus he would take in Indiana when I wanted the car, well, there's no comparison. First I'd have to drive him to the stop at 6 AM, then he'd have to ride through some of the worst neighborhoods, people would threaten the other riders...it just wasn't worth it.

We're planning an incredible trip for or son's birthday. We're headed to Colorado to ride a steam train through the Rockies and then home through Santa Fe, New Mexico for a stop at the Santa Fe train depot. And that sentence, is a sentence I could never have imagined typing in my lifetime. That trip, that's just a long weekend trip.

I feel confident in my heart that we made the right decisions and did the right thing coming out here. Not having to deal with the pit of the stomach fear that Jamie would lose his job any day goes a long way toward making me feel better.

There will always be times and days when I get homesick and it all gets too much. At the same time, there will be days when I realize how incredibly blessed I truly am. Today is that day.

1 comment:

  1. So glad things are going well for you guys. You deserve it! I've heard great things about Sonlight too. I think it helps having a path with school.

    ReplyDelete