Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Sometimes you just have to go with it....
I'm doing much better. After that bout of homesickness and wallowing for a night, I'm doing ever so much better. We went for a drive yesterday, talked about the holidays, watched a Christmas movie (Christmas With the Kranks - so funny), and regrouped. I feel a lot better. I think we were all just tired and overwhelmed.
We got a lot done this weekend, little things that make it feel like home. We put up the trampoline, put together the train table. Nicholas can now run four electric train tracks under his loft bed. Of course, with all that track, he now says he needs more trains. His Santa Fe engines didn't really make the move this time. I will probably look for him one for Christmas or birthday.
We also spent Saturday on a marathon shopping spree. Not for anything FUN, mind you. Well, maybe a little fun. We stocked the pantry and the freezer and it feels WONDERFUL. We didn't get as much as we wanted or even needed. And we didn't stock the paper goods like paper towels and TP but we did pretty well.
I find when those sad homesick days come along, and they do, it's best to just go with it. Pretending to be happy or content or trying to hold it all in doesn't work. It builds. Just going with it, talking it over together and finding out you aren't alone, makes everything better. It's good to be realistic about where we are and the issues we are dealing with.
So, I wallowed. And cried. And complained to the hubby. And he admitted it was hard for him, too. For some reason, just knowing he feels the same some days, makes it all better. We both agreed we love it out west. Utah can be a bit hard to take, though. Luckily we are only a couple hours from Wyoming and Idaho. And lots of camping and recreation for the weekends. When Spring comes around again, we hope to be ready to get out there and enjoy the wild West and all the fun things she offers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Days when I know my family back home are getting together (like they did yesterday) are still a bit rough sometimes --- even 16 years later! They are much better than they used to be, though.
ReplyDeleteNow I kind of accept the bit of sadness and move on enjoying what our little family has planned. Years ago, I used to let that sadness overwhelm me for way too long.
It'll be easier as you build your traditions in Utah.
We watched A Christmas Story on Sunday night! Just getting prepared for the upcoming season!
Just acknowleding that little sadness makes it so much better than pretending everything is always perfect.
ReplyDeleteWe're worried about how the holidays will work, since we can't fly home that fast after moving. I know I can always just put my spin on things, but we are also thinking about taking a small trip around that time (Jackson Hole is winning right now, even though I vote for somewhere kind of warm) so that the boys have something to take their minds off not seeing their cousins.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are feeling better. And thanks for commenting back after my first comment the other day. How cool that we have the same name!
Amy, if you want warm, I can't recommend Moab enough. We had SO MUCH FUN!!! And you are within driving distance of 3 National Parks.
ReplyDeleteBUT, I have to say, Jackson Hole...Amazing!!!! I loved it there. I want to live there. I just want to BE there. It was stunning. Plus there were tons of fun little shops and all kinds of "cowboy" stuff to do. Which, being new to the west we think is totally fun as opposed to goofy. Unfortunately the road between Salt Lake and Jackson Hole is closed most of the winter unless you have chains. And we could do that but I think it would be a very stressful drive!